When I started doing this blogging challenge it was spur of the moment, and I didn’t know how I would go about it, or what I would write about. I knew that I would be a little busy so proper reviews and recipes couldn’t go up every day. What I didn’t realize was that I was going to unintentionally make this a props blog. Whoops. I guess it’s easier to talk about what I’m doing, and right now it’s that. I may or may not (hint: may) have some vegan Guiness cupcakes in the oven that I’ll write up a post about soon, but for now, this is what’s happening: spray paint.
Today I continued what was almost a full two day job: reorganizing all of our spray paint. I didn’t realize it was going to be such a huge task, but since I’m the shopper for our department, I’m in it all the time and like to know what we have and don’t have so I don’t buy more than we need.
We have a pretty sizable stock of Design Master. I try to keep up with it, but Design Master has a tendency to discontinue colors without any notice. Because I buy to fill our shelves, it’s annoying when I would try to get a color and find out later that it was discontinued. Also, an artisan wouldn’t know and use the last cans we have, and then need more of that specific shade and be out of luck for their project.
I made discontinued stickers that I didn’t take a picture of, but they are on orange sticker paper and live underneath the color name. Now when I look in the cabinet I know not to bother with some shades, and other artisans know that if they pick that shade and use it all, that’s the end of it. It’s really a win-win for all of us.
I not only re-organized all of it, I also relabeled everything and now have an updated inventory list complete with the extras we have on hand to know what not to buy. I grouped all of our overstock (colors we have more than the five that can fit in a row) in one area. I go to this area first when I’m making my shopping list and incorporate what I can. Since it was on the bottom shelf, I labeled the tops of the cans so I can glance in and not have to search through the cans.
We have quite a bit of overstock. I also was able to organize a fire cabinet that nobody had touched since I started. Almost everyone was under the impression it was the other departments. Props officially claimed it to update the MSDS a while back and I was able to incorporate some of the colors that were in it to our normal stock. Its also acting as the “massive overstock” spot for the cans that we have more than a few of (I’m looking at you, 24 cans of hunter green). I also was able to get all of our Design Master Just for Flowers and Tints in one spot as well as some colors I couldn’t fit into the other cabinet.
It was a huge project, and I’m glad I got it done.